Thursday, September 13, 2012

Experimenting with toddler activities

Around fourteen months (he's now 20) or so I noticed that although Keelan's verbal skills were on the rise, his fine motor skills weren't developing as quickly. I started thinking back to my Montessori assistant days (summers during college) and the activities I observed and helped set up. The majority were for 3-6 year olds and too advanced, so I started scouring the internet and pinterest for toddler fine motor activities and 'busy bags'. I was shocked at how many awesome activities I found and started putting things together from stuff we had in the kitchen (mostly coffee and oatmeal containers) and around the house. Oh... then I discovered the dollar store and bought more cheap supplies for his activities. I was amazed at how much he enjoyed focusing on these simple tasks and I think they have helped him develop. He does get frustrated with them at times; more recently asking, "Mommy, help!" or just throwing them all over the floor. But I've decided it's part of the 'process' :-) I've also realized I HAVE to get him used to being at home more, we tend to be out and about a lot, and I know once the new baby comes we'll be home-bound much more than Keelan is used to. So, this is part of planning our future sanity as well! 

Here are some 'action' shots I took from this morning, hence the pants-less boy. 

Popsicle sticks




Pom-poms


Straws & multiple holes (+ check out the curls!)


Farm animal figurines

No comments:

Post a Comment